Tuesday, December 09, 2008

Oh the weather outside.....stinks....

I love snow...it's beautiful! I think it looks great from the comfort of a fireside chair while you're sipping hot chocolate and nibbling on some popcorn. It's light, it's fluffy, it's sparkly too...but here are some things about it that "ain't so great!"

It's cold
It's wet
It's cold and wet
It's slick
It's a pain to drive in
It's a pain to shovel
and it's cold (and wet)

If I were snowed in, I would love it... If I'm driving in it, I hate it.
A few years ago, I decided to relive my misspent youth by taking Dustin and some friends up to the horseshoe shaped valley near the school. It's the perfect place to sled because one side is a steady, but steep slope and the other one is a suicide hill.

I'm partial to suicide hills having grown up on a fantastic sled-run of a suicide hill in good old Strafford, Missouri. It was a long, "S" curved hill that was steep enough that the county would close the road at the top of the hill if it snowed even more than a couple of inches. It was every sled-lover's dream!

So, I decided that at the age of 30 hmmmmmphthing that I was going to outsled the kids and even try some ramp jumping. We played for hours, sledding away...ignoring the cold that turned our ears and noses to icicles and made our fingers and toes tingle and burn. We would slide down the hill and then run up it as fast as we could only to go flying down the hill once again. No ramp was too big, no hill too high.

The next morning the alarm rang and as I sat up in bed I discovered that I couldn't move my arms...oh, and it really hurt to breath! Plus, my back was one gigantic knot so it was at that very moment that I realized I was no longer a child...oh sure, I can still act childish from time to time, but the aspect of playing in the snow has lost most or all of its appeal.

So, now when I look at snow I don't think of fun and games...I think of driving and shoveling...both of which are not fun. Moving to Florida is starting to look like a viable option. Anyone ready for Disney World?

It's warm
It's only wet once in awhile
It's warm and wet once in awhile
It's slick (as in Smooooooth)
It's fun to walk around in
And you never have to shovel...

Dave

No comments: