Sunday, March 08, 2009

The good the Dad and the ugly


Lately I feel like the old 1970's toy, Stretch Armstrong... He was a rubber bodybuilder that you could pull about ten different directions at once, almost to the breaking point....but then, he'd suddenly snap back into place (slowly actually) as if nothing had ever happened....and would be ready to be stretched again another day.

Call me Stretch Armstrong! Between work and work and basketball and baseball...between school activities and home and driving to work and home and other things, I think I'm reaching a point...and not a good point, in which someday, like dear old, Stretch Armstrong...I will snap!

Tonight, my youngest pushed me closer to that point. I spent several minutes the other day looking up juvenile biographies for him for a school project, only to hear when I got them home, "I don't want to do those!" I explained to him that I brought home the books he asked for and he said he'd changed his mind. Now he wants to do some goofy pro-wrestler, which I have already explained is a complete "NO" in my book.

Tonight we argued about it more than I ever thought possible and it ended up with me saying that he was on his own on this project and that he could expect no further help from me.
So, was I wrong? The yelling was a bit much, I will admit, but given his strong-willed nature, it could have been worse I suppose.

I think I'm just tired. This weekend alone we had a baseball fundraiser, a basketball championship game (we lost), I worked, we had a baseball meeting, I had errands to run, we had company, I had more errands to run and I took Dustin to the movies. Whew! Now it is late Sunday night and I have Monday to look forward to and a big headache roaming around in my head growling, which I'm sure is a precursor to a really loud ROAR.

"You should take it easy" my friends say, and Yes, I really should...but I don't have time.
I would like to plan some vacation days off around our 20th Anniversary this summer...but if it isn't me or our schedule, it will probably be our finances that get to play STRETCH ARMSTRONG.

-David

1 comment:

Heith said...

To me, it would all depend on the wrestler he chose. If he picked a legend of old (Roddy Piper, Hulk Hogan, Mr. Fuji, etc), that would be acceptable. Some fly-by-night from today, not so much.

Yeah, I grew up watching WWF. :)