Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Do Liberals wear sensible shoes?

Today I watched as hundreds of people protested our current tax system. To call our tax system "current" is a joke of mammoth proportions. Sensible people will tell you that our tax system is as antiquated as a Model T Ford due to the myriad loopholes and seemingly endless amount of paperwork involved.

Several years ago, wannabe Presidential Candidate, Steve Forbes (He of great ideas and ZERO personality) proposed a flat tax. Forbes opined that a flat tax of 15% would be fair across the board and that for people below a certain income, there would be no tax at all.
Liberals hated this idea...they thought it would deprive the government of much needed funds. (This in the era of $500 dollar toilet seats and Pentagon Screwdrivers that were purchased at $800 dollars and up)

Other candidates since have proposed national sales taxes or variations on a flat or "Fair Tax" That make perfect sense....even to non-mathematical geniuses like me. Many have theories as to why our current (and by that, I mean antiquated) leaders opposes a new tax system, and I can find about ten or fifteen of them that I could by into on some level. However, none of them really make sense in the long run. I may be wrong, but I believe it was Ronald Reagan who said that no country has ever taxed it's way to prosperity...and no matter who said it...I believe they were right.

David

No comments: