Sunday, May 03, 2009

Why can't we be friends?

Recently on facebook, I've noticed a strange phenomenon... People who I was acquainted with want to be my friends. That's cool...I have no problem because sometimes these people have stories to tell about people and teachers we knew that I've never heard before, and in doing this, I'm becoming friends with them.

To be honest, there are a couple of people on facebook that I never thought I'd talk to again. Not that I didn't want to, just that I never figured that our paths would ever cross again. Now that they have, I'm happy with the results and have really enjoyed visiting with these people.

This brings me to my second point. There are a couple of people who were friends of mine in High School that I have fond memories of and actually considered friends who still have not befriended me on facebook. This wouldn't bother me so much except for the fact that they've befriended people on facebook who asked them to be friends after I did.

I'm not sure why that is? Some old grudge perhaps? Maybe they didn't like me in school and I only thought they did? One of them in particular really bothers me because we used to talk a lot in school and I always thought she was sweet and pretty and funny...in fact, we even went out once. I would think that if anything, our one date might have been the deal killer, but we actually stayed friends for awhile after I graduated high school and went on to college.

So what's the deal with that? I thought the idea to facebook was not only to reconnect with old friends, but to make new ones as well. I'm even chatting and sending notes to my Sister's friends on facebook when I know they never thought of me as a "FRIEND" in high school. There are people that I was casual friends with in school that I've become pretty tight with on facebook because now that we're adults, we actually have things in common...like kids, or jobs or "GASP!" Political beliefs!

So, to those of you who haven't answered yet to my friend request "LIGHTEN UP!" To quote my old friend, Mark Shoemaker, who once asked a girl to dance at a nightclub only to be turned down, "I DIDN'T ASK YOU TO BEAR MY CHILDREN, I ONLY ASKED YOU TO DANCE!!!"

C'mon.... Dance with me, will ya?

Take care,

Dave

No comments: