Monday, May 12, 2008

All I need

I was recently reminded of all the things I need by listening to the sage advice of two wise men... Pastor Fred and Steve Martin...

Pastor Fred recently reminded me that all I need is:

1. A deep and abiding relationship with Jesus Christ.
2. A fulfilling relationship with the woman I love (that would be Sherry of course!)
3. The love of and for my two Sons...

Now of course, Pastor Fred is correct, because what he says not only makes sense, but it is Biblical too, which makes it sacred...

Steve Martin, on the other hand, while being very funny and also very wise...(well, with the exception of the "Pink Panther" remake and "Three Amigos..." I'm not sure what he was thinking at those junctions in his career) reminded me of things I might also need (or want as the case may be) with his deft portrayal of Country Bumpkin, Navin R. Johnson... a.k.a. "The Jerk."

In "The Jerk" we see the poignant downfall of a man; a hayseed, if you will, who finds fame and fortune and then loses it all because he has forgotten the one thing that means the most to him in his life... the love of a good woman.

Toward the end of his downfall, he realizes that all he needs is an ashtray, a paddle-ball game, a TV remote, a chair and a plaid thermos...among other things, and other than that...he doesn't need anything at all... (quote, unquote)

So other than Jesus, Sherry and the boys...I don't need anything at all... but here are some things I like:

4. Baseball...(a good game, a bad game or any game at all...even more so if Jared or the Royals are involved... heck, I'll even root for the Red Sox or Yankees if that's what is on TV! Provided they aren't playing against Jared or the Royals...)

5. Jiffy Pop Popcorn---(well, any popcorn is fine, but Jiffy Pop is still kind of fun!)

6. Pop... I love pop... it is my worst habit by far and I bet I could lose 25 lbs. if I'd just lay off the Dr. Pepper and Mountain Dew. Honestly though, I would still have to have some A&W Root Beer with my Jiffy Pop Popcorn.

7. Television... "LOST" "THE OFFICE" "30 ROCK" "SCRUBS" "ER" "BASEBALL TONIGHT"
or the classics like "GREEN ACRES" "NYPD BLUE" "HILL STREET BLUES" "CHEERS" "FRASIER" and "BOB NEWHART." Nuff said?

8. Chicken--- Fried, Baked, Cordon Bleu, Smothered, Grilled, I don't care...!!! I love the stuff!

9. Making Music with my friends---John on guitar and vocals. Sonya singing. Steve on electric guitar. Dennis on Fiddle and Flute. Jared Singing. Marc and Dustin on bass and me on the drums... Pure bliss!

10. Friends---even the ones I don't see that often...but still think about or email or hear from when I least expect it... I know you're out there and I love you all...

Other than that, I don't need anything at all...

David

No comments: