Monday, June 02, 2008

Goodbye old friend

Today's blog is a tribute to my good friend, Mel.
Mel has been a faithful employee of B&N for the past seven years and has been an inspiration to all of us. But now...she's decided it's time to give up the book store for a more "normal" life.

Funny, Honest and Hard-Working, Mel is one of the people who trained me when I came on board six years ago. I knew that no matter what, if Mel was working a shift with me, everything would be all right. There are only a handful of people I can say that about that I've EVER worked with.

Mel also rehabs animals. If there is an abandoned baby animal of just about any sort, you can usually find Mel taking care of it. I've watched her hand feed squirrels and possums hundreds of times...in fact, she even came out to our Scout troop to show the boys animals on several occasions, when Dustin was little and when Jared was first in Scouts.

One night, she even brought some animals over to our house. We spread a blanket out on the floor and fed nearly grown possums by hand in our living room. Our dog, Luke about went crazy later when we let him out for the night...he sniffed everything in the room!

Sherry and I were both lucky to have the chance to work with her, and even better, she has become a life-long family friend...

Mel, we love you and we'll miss seeing you, but we won't forget you!

Hope to see you soon!

David, Sherry and the Boys

No comments: