Friday, April 21, 2006

The Best shows on television 2006

Hi guys,

Haven't done any reviews in a LOOOOOONG time, but thought I'd do one of those "lists" that critics like to do every so often... here goes... best shows on TV 2006 (open to debate as long as you know I'm right!)

1. "LOST" (ABC) nowhere in the history of television will you find a cast as diverse, plots so complex and intrigue so palpable. "Lost" could very well be in the top ten television shows...EVER! Plus, it has one of the best casts on TV.

2. "The Office" (American Version) (NBC) when I first started watching it last year, I felt it was a pale imitation of the British version, however...somewhere along the way it began to pick up steam and now I am totally hooked on this goofy, insane show. It may even be better than "Seinfeld..."


3. "Scrubs" (NBC) year after year, this series seems to redefine what funny is. The cast is perfect, and the writing is totally whacked-out! I love all of the pop-culture references, and you will never find a better buddy team than Turk and J.D.! Plus it gets bonus points for having a character with my last name... You tell them, Dr. Cox!

4. "Boston Legal" (ABC) although you never can tell if it's going for the heart or the funny bone, this show has a lot going for it...namely... Candace Bergen, William Shatner, James Spader, Julie Bowen, Mark Valley, Betty White, Tom Selleck, Michael J. Fox, Adam Arkin...and on and on and on. (I could do without the writer's constantly reminding me what an "evil" President we have and how the war in Iraq is wrong... but mostly the dialogue is steller)

5. "SportsCenter"--- (ESPN) Okay, I know...it's a news show, but so what? I can keep up with the MLB scores, the NBA scores and still find out what Barry Bonds is up to... how can you beat that?

6. "American Idol" (FOX) not a great show on the level of "LOST," but still, you can't beat a good old fashioned singing competition...and this year, Taylor, Chris, Paris, Kathryn and Kelli
are all practically neck and neck. (My guess: Chris, but Taylor, Kathryn, Kelli or Paris would be just fine as well!)

7. "The West Wing" (NBC) another show that tends to show America at it's worst, however it has a "Boston Legal" type cast that can't be beat! Too many stars to name, but Jimmy Smits and Alan Alda are the frosting on the cake. Although they seem to be skimping on the Alda lately. (and I miss John Spencer, who was one of the best actors ever!)

8. "My name is Earl" (NBC) one of the funniest, tackiest shows I've ever seen on TV. Funny, funny, funny.... and I grew up knowing people kind of like this!

9. "Alias" (ABC) this show has had a rough couple of years, and yet it still manages to shock me. (Like when Vaughn confessed to Sydney that he wasn't really who she thought he was, only to be nearly killed in a car wreck 2 seconds later!!! WOW!) Jennifer Garner is a doll, and a heck of an actress too. Victor Garber is fantastic!!! Get this guy an Emmy!!! Ron Rifkin is smooth, polished and deadly... what more can you ask for?

10. "Three Wishes," (NBC) "Surface," (NBC) "Invasion" (ABC)... I seriously hope that "wishes" and "surface" come back next season... "wishes" is the only TV show I've ever cried during (not counting the "China Beach" finale) and it makes me a wreck every single episode...if it comes back YOU HAVE TO WATCH IT!!! "Surface" didn't grab me at first, but much like a lite version of "LOST," I got suckered into it's alien invasion premise...and somehow, the only episode I missed all season was the last one!!! Arggghhh! "Invasion" is one of those shows that I don't know where the heck it's going, but I'm along for the ride! Similar in tone to "Surface," this underwater alien show has taken a totally different route along the lines of world domination by aliens, not mutants created by man. (ala "Surface")

Great shows, one and all...watch them if you get a chance. Sometime soon, I'm going to do my top ten of all time!!! Be There!!!

Dave

No comments: