Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Another one I moved over from the old blog...

Let the Music be your time machine...
By DavidCox
It's funny how you can be driving on a jam-packed highway filled with the biggest idiots and wanna-be Nascar champs, and some old song will start to play on the radio, and suddenly, you're back in time, and the moment of that song will be as real to you as if it were yesterday.
I can't think of any Lionel Ritchie song without thinking of my 8th grade year. My Mom let me have a boy/girl party in the basement and we all danced under black lights while Lionel sang "Once, twice, three times a lady..." My best Friend, Jeff Fleetwood had just broken up with a girl and he just about lost it... I remember trying to cheer him up and not ignore my girlfriend at the same time...
I was listening to Christian radio yesterday in the car, when a blue Mazda plowed into the rear of the white delivery van next to me...it was unnerving, but Chris Tomlin was singing "How great is our God" on the radio, and I was singing along, thinking about a church service in the park that we had gone to last summer.
"Summer Winds" by Frank Sinatra makes me think of living back home in Strafford, Missouri... There was one summer that I was thinking of being a film director, and I videotaped everything and anything, including a piece that was basically a windy summer day with that song playing, while the tall grass in the field outside my window blew, and our horses ate blackberries off the vine while my dogs, Ginger and Bear sprawled out on the lawn. I get sentimental just thinking about it...I'm glad I still have it on tape.
There are so many songs...."Hold onto the nights" by Richard Marx, is the song that was playing in the car the night that Sherry and I had our first date. For years I played it on our anniversary and it was even in our wedding. I'll have to remember to play that for her this year...it really takes me back...
David

No comments: