Monday, August 07, 2006

Bigots of every kind

Okay, today is a good day to rant. Over the weekend, someone I know had the gall to call me a male chauvinist because I am Pro-Life. Then this person went on to say that because I am a Conservative, I will only vote for Pro-Life candidates who are willing to cut Medicare, school funding, welfare and all social programs.

Hmmm... Interesting.... Obviously this person (and if you know them, they think they are ALWAYS right) is totally wrong. This you know if you know me at all.

Here are the reasons that this person is wrong:

1. I love and respect women. Just because I am pro-life, does not mean I am anti-woman.
This is one of those insane Howard Dean-like statements designed to rally the Liberal base.
Maybe they should listen to Democrat Tim Russert who said after the 2004 election that if
Democrats ever hope to win a modern election they may have to realize that just because
Republicans have differing opinions, this does not make them stupid.

2. I have voted for candidates that were Pro-abortion. Although this would not normally be my
first choice, it is not the deciding factor. It is a HUGE factor, don't get me wrong, however,
if the candidate meets my other criteria, then I might be able to move a bit on one or two other points. (oh, and please don't say that if they think abortion is okay that they are not "Pro-
abortion" they are "Pro-Reproductive Rights!!!" Reproductive rights does not mean
stopping reproduction!!!)

3. If I had called anyone a male chauvinist, I would have been called an intolerant Republican.

4. I tend to lean toward the right politically, but if there is another candidate from another
party that shows me that they can do a better job...They will get my vote. Case in point,
Mike Sanders, our current county Prosecutor, who I would vote for in a second. He is a Democrat, and according to some of my friends, fairly liberal, however, I'd vote for him in a second. He's fair, he's tough on crime and he's honest.

5. Honesty... If my acquaintance would inject this into their blunt, blowhard ways, it might
this person's rantings a bit more tolerable...But then again, I'm an intolerant Republican...
Remember?

6. This stupid ranting about Republicans killing off social programs should have stopped a long,
long time ago... President Bush has (mistakenly in my opinion) spent more on social
programs than any president in history. I think sometimes he thinks he can buy his way out
from under bad criticisms. Unfortunately, he has spent money like a drunken sailor, and
while I like the man, he is far from the fiscal Conservative I thought I was voting for.
(I still shudder at the thought of what a Kerry or Gore Presidency would have brought!!!)

Dave

7 comments:

gail said...

a kerry or gore presidency would actually have brought less spending on social problem. with both houses of congress being republican, there's no way they would have let kerry or gore get away with half the stuff that bush has gotten rubberstamped, because he is 'supposedly' conservative.

just a snide black pot-smokin' libertarian's opinion...

Dave said...

Gail, I should issue the disclaimer that you do not smoke pot. I don't want my Republican friends thinking that I hang out with druggies... that being said, how do I explain C.B. (inside joke known only to a precious few).

Michele, I appreciate your response too... I know you're not a "doobie" fiend either! -Dave

gail said...

okay, it's true, i don't really smoke pot. however, as a dyed-in-the-wool libertarian, i am against the war on drugs, and think that if marijuana were legalized, it would actually make a significant dent in the drug 'problem' in this country. but do the powers-that-be see it that way? no, they are too high on their power to do something that makes practical sense and might have a positive effect.

gail said...

however, even *if* i did smoke pot, that would not make me any less of a person, i want to make that perfectly clear. :) still, it's not my thing.

Dave said...

So what you're saying is that you're "pro-high on drugs" but "anti-high on power"?

And yet you're "pro-wool dying"?

Gail, I must ask..."what did that poor sheep ever do to you?"

gail said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
gail said...

people high on drugs are ostensibly only hurting themselves. (we won't bring up whether they are behind the wheel of a car, operating heavy machinery, etc., while high.) people high on power, knowingly or unknowingly, are hurting other people.