Monday, November 20, 2006

Thanksgiving in the land of Turkeys

On Friday we had Thanksgiving Lunch at the Elementary School. Jared (who is six-years-old) had just finished a stunning performance of the "Turkey Woogie" (it's kind of like a boogie and it goes like this....) And the classic "Turkey Tango," (which may have been the best and only performance I've ever seen of it). So, we sat down to eat Turkey (what else?) Ham (Turkey's distant cousin) mashed potatoes (curtesy of our friend, Karen... Good Job, Karen! oh, and I'd be remiss if I didn't mention that she cooked the turkey too!)

My Wife provided COOOOOOOOOL Whip (as my dear old Grandma used to call it) and butter, and I provided a healthy appetite. Jared, on the other hand, ate one tiny bite of pumpkin pie, and 3 dinner rolls.

How can you convince a kid who doesn't eat anything, that he's missing out on nearly everything? Especially at Thanksgiving??? How can you not be hungry smelling all of that great food? This is something that I'm left to ponder...

On the other foot, the Christmas crowds are starting to crowd into our local bookstore (where I work, as does Karen, she of Turkey and Potato fame) Karen's Husband is Vic, who is my partner in crime in Cub Scouts. (let me rephrase that as not to imply that any criminal activity is occurring between Vic, myself and the Cub Scouts....) We co-lead them, but in all actuality it is Vic who does most of the leading since I can only be there two out of four meetings per month due to my other job at the LIBERRRY.

Vic, Karen, Sherry and I also briefly shared joint custody of a lovely little dog that we found that Jared named Ginger (most likely because I once had a dog with the same name) but who is now named Lucy since she has moved in with Vic and Karen. (We gave her to them since we already have that darling little Fur Covered Freight Train named LUKE.)

So....long story long... we didn't need another dog and they wanted one, and she is, might I say with the exception of Luke, "THE BESTEST DOG ON THE ENTIRE PLANET!" She's trained (house and trick-wise too) and she's very, very sweet.

That was our good deed for the month...saving a starving dog and finding her a good home. (Pat on the back time). It had to be done and I wouldn't have done it any other way. How could anyone let a wonderful pet like that go and just let her starve? Some people should not be allowed to have pets...or kids...

Which brings me to my next rambling... WHY ON EARTH WOULD YOU CAMP OUT FOR A NINTENDO OR A PLAYSTATION IN FREEZING WEATHER AND BRING ALONG YOUR 3-YEAR-OLD CHILD? There were several kids camping out for the overpriced, overhyped freezing extravaganza! What MORONS!!! I hope the paycheck and frostbite were worth it!!!

Someone asked me yesterday if I was ready for Christmas... ha.... maybe in about 13 months I will be...

HAPPY THANKSGIVING YOU TURKEYS!!!

David

2 comments:

chade66 said...

Happy Thanksgiving!!

I lucked out this year, my kid doesn't want any of the big fancy new game systems this year. So no waiting in huge lines on Black Friday for me! Hooray!!

She would rather have a laptop. Sigh. That silver lining does always have to be in a dark cloud, eh?

Dave said...

I want a laptop too, but Sherry won't let me go to clubs like that!

I apologize for that previous remark. I'm not sure why I said it, since I clearly did not mean to say it.

I think I may have a problem and will either have to blame society or enter a treatment program---Dave