Friday, June 22, 2007

Do you speak Klingon?

For most of my adult life (and some of my teen years) I have been involved in some sort of Customer Service at nearly all of my jobs.

Maybe I'm just tired and grumpy, or possibly I need a vacation but it seems as though lately I can't stand a lot of the people I'm trying to help!!!

Take for instance the other night at that bookstore I work at a few nights a week; there was this late 40ish Mom and her teen daughters, all of whom looked as if they pray to the God of Vogue or Vanity Fair every night before bed. Their outfits SCREAMED "Abercrombie and Fitch" or "Gap" or wherever the heck it is that teen girls shop!!!??? Even the Mom, who talked and acted as if she were a teenage girl (and there might have been one in there underneath the layers of makeup and fake tan, boobs and teeth) looked as if she shopped there too. (or she's been raiding her daughter's wardrobes!!!)

Not that I was eavesdropping...(not that you'd have to in the store because everyone "Broadcasts" their conversations, no matter how private they should be!!!) But... Mom was overheard saying "Oh, you look way better than her" (referring to a picture in a magazine). "Oh, you look way hotter than her..." "You're both hotter than Paris Hilton." "You're going to be more famous than Paris."

So, I'm guessing if her daughters go to prison that's okay???

Then I had two teen girls who wanted the book version of a famous play. "Are you sure it's only a play?" They asked me repeatedly? "Yes." I replied. They came back 10 minutes later and asked me again to look it up. "Are you sure it's just a play and not a book? I hate reading plays!" One of them said. I felt like offering to drive them to the cemetery, digging up the playwright and having them register a complaint.

After I was REALLY getting TIRED of the SILLINESS... I had to put up with a 50 something year old woman reading to a baby...book after book after book... IN ELMO'S VOICE!!! Her imitation was spot-on perfect, however that was the problem!!! I hate ELMO!!!

After that, I told my boss I was going to lose it very soon.... luckily things calmed down after that and I didn't go postal or anything!

Maybe people just don't understand that I'm not psychic and I don't speak Klingon. Other than that, "Welcome to the store, how can I help you?"

David

No comments: