Wednesday, March 12, 2008

I'm writing to you from In Fluenza

Okay, so I bragged the other day about not getting sick all winter. (at least not with the flu...migraines...that's another story...bad knees...yet another).

So yesterday my Boss gets sick and we're joking at work about being sick on what will amount to being the nicest day weather-wise in a long, long time. Me, with the scratchy throat that I had developed that morning had the audacity to say "It would be my luck to be inside sick on a day like that."

I got off work at 7 PM and had to round up the boys so we could run to Sam's Club before they closed, and by the time we got done, I was really dragging. My temp was 99.8 and although that doesn't seem too high, I was feeling it.

Got home and crashed watching a tape of "AMERICAN IDOL" partly because I was dead, and partly because the singing was deadly. Woke up this morning (100.1) and thought about getting up and getting ready. I actually did get out a towel and washcloth and some clothes to wear before returning to bed.

Slept till 8:20 or so and got up for an hour before going back to bed, where I stayed until 11:00.
Got up and let the dogs out and then checked my email and got I'M'd by Gail and then I conked out till nearly 2:00. Tried to watch the movie "Across the universe" while I ate, coughing all the while. Good songs in the movie, but had to be the slooooowessssst musical ever. I stopped watching and took a shower and then went back to bed.

I felt better so I went to Jared's ball practice and to Target for prescriptions and was practically crawling by the time I got home. Went to bed at 9:00 (temp now a warmer 100.4) and then woke up and decided to write.

Symptoms: Cough, Fever, Sore throat, body aches, headache. Prognosis: Don't know...Doctor's office did not return my call.

Jared still has tonsillitis and his throat looks like he's trying to swallow a bright red malted milk ball. Nothing has worked, not even antibiotics... Tomorrow is his birthday and he feels (and I can relate) like crap.

I stooped so low with my sore throat that I ventured into the sacred "Box of Popsicles" in the Freezer. This is no-parents-land as far as Jared is concerned. I opened the lid and discovered that "Someone" had eaten all of the powerful, energy-infused "RED ONES," which meant that there was one "PURPLE ONE" (Yuck!) six "ORANGE ONES" (Double Yuck!) and three "GREEN ONES."

You would think that the green ones would have some sort of semblance of flavor, like maybe, say...LIME? But no, my theory is that somewhere in the deepest, darkest corners of the Popsicle factory there is a man saying "Just paint them green, their parents will never believe them, let alone try them!" Cold... it was... Good... it was not...

So to all of you well people out there, my advice to you is... stay well, and don't eat the "GREEN ONES."

David

No comments: