Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Today I'm writing a book review!


Today I'd like to tell you all about the great Children's book that I just read to my Youngest Son, Jared. The book is entitled "Frankenstein Makes a Sandwich" by Adam Rex. (www.adamrex.com)
I'd have to say that this book immediately joined our list of favorites which include:
"Piggie Pie" by Margie Palatini and Howard Fine (www.margiepalatini.com)
"Zoom Broom" (The sequel to "Piggie Pie")
"Broommates" (The sequel to the sequel)
"Saving Sweetness" by Diane Stanley and G. Brian Karas (www.dianestanley.com)
"Jake Johnson: the story of a Mule" by Tres Seymour and Marsha Gray Carrington
If you want a story that appeals to both children and their parents, look no further! It has several popular Monsters in addition to "Franky" including Dracula (who has spinach in his teeth), The Phantom of the Opera (who can't seem to get an annoying Disney tune out of his noggin), and other assorted ghouls and goblins doing the most ridiculous things.
I had a blast reading this one aloud, as I watched Jared roll on his bed convulsing with laughter. He was laughing so hard, in fact, that Dustin (our 12 year old) walked in wanting to know what was so funny. So, being the Dad that I am...I started the whole thing all over again.
By the time we were done we were all laughing at this silly tale. One of the many things that makes the book so enjoyable are the great drawings and the funny pop-culture references that Moms and Dads will get, but the kids won't. (Which may lead to some explanations following storytime...such as "Who is the girl from Ipanema?")
Even if you don't like kids books...read it anyway! If you want a grin or a laugh it's not a huge time investment to read this nice, funny book!
David

No comments: