Sunday, March 11, 2007

My Heroes

Today I pay tribute to those unsung heroes...the people who mean so much to me that sometimes I'm too busy to thank. The people who are always there without fail and who do things for me so often that I sometimes take it for granted. These people (in no particular order) are my Saints, my mentors, my friends, my family...and my heroes...

8. Pastor Fred... Even though I've only known him for a couple of years...he always makes
me think about God, my life, my attitude and my direction and dedication
to Christ. Thoughtful, smart and funny...he's one of the newest heroes that
I have.

7. Joan Young... I've known her since forever and there is rarely a day when I don't think
about her. She was my mentor before I even knew what a mentor was.
She made me want to read and made me love to read. She encouraged me
when I wanted to write (In fact, she was one of the few who challenged me
to write!!!) She's probably the reason why I've worked in the Library for
so very long. Thank you to my favorite Librarian, Joan Young!

6. Grandma Fry
Grandpa Fry
Grandma Cox
Grandpa Cox
Grandma Brazeal
Grandpa Brazeal
Grandma Dollins Among them they raised dozens of kids. Sometimes the life of a farmer
or a grape harvester or a jig dancer seemed overwhelming. Living
during the depression, world war II and times of strife must have
been darned near impossible. And still they did it...without phones,
microwaves and vcr's. They loved their Country, their neighbors and
their families. They loved me...and I still love them all.

5. Dustin and Jared They're my Sons...they aren't perfect, but neither am I. Sometimes I
think they're too obsessed with their video games and their music, but
then I think back to when I was their age... Sometimes I think their
hair is too long...but I suppose my folks thought that about me too.
They make me proud in so many ways and I love them more than I
can ever hope to show or tell them. Sometime I hope that when they
think I'm too strict that they'll stop for a moment and think that
maybe Dad's just picky because he loves them.

4. Doyle and Doris Cox
and Verda Cox too! They're my parents. Did they screw me up? Oh, maybe a little...but
I think in a way they're supposed to so that we can pass some of that
on to our kids. Have I always gotten along with them? No...but have
I ever stopped loving them? No... I hope that along with the grief
that I gave them, I made them smile a few times and made them
proud more often than not. Being a Son doesn't come with any more
instructions than being a parent does... We just stumble and fumble
our way through life hoping that when we fall, they'll be there to catch
us...and so far, they always have been.
(Gary and Millie fall into this category too.... Thank you!)

3. My Friends Sure I get ticked when you don't call or write, or when you never,
ever e-mail me back...but you know what? You have lives and wives
and husbands and kids and pets now and I'll bet you're too busy to
keep up with everything... but just as I think about you from time
to time...I hope you think of me too!

2. God Thank you God... I saw your Sunset yesterday as it bathed the Earth
with your beautiful light. I saw the puddles from the rain the night
before. I saw a little girl kiss her daddy and say "I love you, Daddy,"
and it made me smile. I heard my own youngest Son say "you're
the best Dad, ever!" and it made me happy and made my heart ache
just a bit too. God, I'm glad you believe in me...and I believe in you.

1. My Wife, Sherry When I think of miracles I think of you. I think of how God was so
gracious that he put you into my life. I think of the first time I kissed
you and of when you said Yes that you'd be my Wife. I think of you,
being the only girl in a house full of boys... tripping over baseball
bats and basketballs and living with a husband who isn't a handyman
when it comes to cars and plumbing and electricity. I think of you,
being dragged to Royals games and having to pick up sweaty socks
off the floor. I think of how much you've missed with your hearing
loss and how much I'm thankful that I can help be your ears when
you need me to be. You are the absolute love of my life and I
couldn't or wouldn't want to imagine my life without you. I love you!

No comments: