Tuesday, September 04, 2007

Worlds of Fun




So this weekend we had fun... we had "WORLDS OF FUN!" Which is to say that we, the Griswolds, trekked all the way across town to our local amusement park and spent the day sweating and spinning, twirling and falling, zipping and zapping all over the place.


We did have a good time.... the weather was warm, but not overly toasty and the crowds were not bad at all! I was shocked! I figured we'd be in the middle of a stampede or something, and honestly...the crowds were totally tolerable!


We got there right when the park opened, and because we were smart and bought discount tickets ahead of time, we zipped right through the gates. It was warming up already at 10 AM and so I suggested we hit the rides that ordinarily get the biggest crowds and get them out of the way.


Our first ride was "Fury of the Nile" which is your standard river-raft ride. Sherry and the boys and I got one of the giant inner-tube boats to ourselves, and proceeded to get drenched. It was fun, but the thing about Fury of the Nile is that it lacks a certain something. Whereas Silver Dollar City's similar ride has the cool, dark cave with the lights under the water that thump-thump to a loud heartbeat effect, Nile is just rapids... it's fun and wet, but has no character...so to speak...


We then rode the antique cars, which is a staple of amusement park rides... I loved them when I was a kid, and now my kids love them... even Dustin (I'm too old for kiddie rides) enjoyed driving his Mom around while Jared took me for a ride. (Let's just say that Jared better sharpen his driving skills in the next several years or he "ain't gonna be drivin' me around!")


We somehow managed to squeeze in several of our favorite rides several times... Bumper cars---Twice... Scrambler---Three times... Octopus---Twice... Dustin likes to ride the ride where the room spins and the floor drops... I think he rode that about 5 times!

We rode the train and the merry-go-round and even the round-up (although that's not what they call it at "WOF" I think they call it the "Bamboozler" or something fancy like that...)


I like the upside down "Zulu" and we all (save for Sherry) loved the "Spinning Dragons" which is a roller coaster with a cart that spins on it as you go up and down hills and around very tight curves... GREAT RIDE... there's even a video of it posted on Youtube that was taken from inside the cart!


Other than the fact that the end of our day looked like an episode of "COPS" complete with multiple arrests and yelling and screaming (thanks to a Dad who was threatening to kill the ride operators and half of the security staff).


The following day was Labor Day and we ate cookout food with my In-Laws and swam in their pool and other than that did not much of anything... (well, I did mow the lawn and fix the air conditioner... I'm not totally lazy, you know...)


It was a LOT of FUN!!!


David

No comments: