Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Words of wisdom from my Nappy Headed Friend

Let the hate mail begin...

Actually, I asked my friend Gail if it was okay if I wrote that before I even wrote it, and you know what? My Snarky, Black friend DARED ME TO WRITE IT!

So, before I get started I want to say how sorry I am for writing that and how sorry I am for writing the following blog...

In fact (Here's the disclaimer) I'm even including a link to Gail's blog http://impoliteconversationwithgail.blogspot.com/

Because she writes a much better blog than I do and she can articulate this case much better than me... (Yes, she is clean and articulate as DEMOCRAT Joe Biden would say...oh, where's the outrage?) And even though she's black, she somehow manages to see through the hype and the Sharptonesque and Jacksonesque sideshow qualities that situations like these often rise to (lower to?).

In most of my friendships I don't see color or race. I don't care if my Mom's boyfriend of many years is black. I don't care if my Sister's best friends in college were black (I miss you Angie and Eddie...my chocolate chicklette, my burned marshmallow!) It doesn't matter that my best friends are Hispanic and German and Black and White, and that my Wife's best friend is from Panama... I don't care that my Son's friends are Hispanic and Chinese... The only important thing about their backgrounds is that I've learned from them because of it.

I've eaten German food and Mexican food that I might not have even tried if it weren't for my friends...I've gone to Mexican weddings and listened to German rock and rap and have discussed (with no hatred or animosity) the differences in our backgrounds! Yes, I have talked about concentration camps with Germans! Yes, I have talked about racism with black people!
OH MY GOSH!!! It's 2007!!! Should this even be a big deal???

No! I'm glad I've done these things and I'm proud that I had parents who didn't look at a person and see their color. I'm glad I have a friend like Gail who is Nappy Headed and Proud of it!
Gail only sees color when she looks in the mirror and she doesn't let the words of some idiot like Don Imus define who she is.

The words Imus said were stupid, but they're only offensive if we allow them to be. The Rutgers team said today that Imus had "stolen their joy..." I'm sorry they feel this way, but if they do feel that way it is only because they let him steal their joy. They should hold their heads high and ignore the words of this moron, who just happens to be white.

(I'm just waiting for some group of Ho's to come out and demand an apology from Imus...that's what this world is coming to...)

I apologize to any Ho reading this... As Hillary Clinton would say "We've come so FAAAAAR" and as Obama would say "We've been here befo..." And as Jesse Jackson reminds us that even he has visited "Hymie Town."

We're all just people, people... we're going to make mistakes and pull an Ann Coulter once in awhile (although maybe not in such a grandious way). There is a difference between Hate Speech and Stupid Speech, and until we learn that there are gonna be a lot of ticked off, offended people on this planet...

Get over it... be above it... Live through it...

-David

-Dave

No comments: