Sunday, August 26, 2007

Got an email from an old friend we used to be real close

Hi Everyone,

During this past year the Strafford High School Class of 1983 has lost three (3!!!) of our fellow classmates...all to illness, which makes me look at mortality a bit closer and makes me sigh a sad sigh, because at one time, I was good friends with each one of them.

So the fact that they're all gone makes me sad, and the fact that we can never be as close as we once were makes me even sadder.

Then you have to start to ponder about all of the people you've been friends with over the years and now you've lost touch with them.... they moved away..... they got married... they had a million kids and are too busy to call... they joined a weird cult...

Today I emailed an old friend of mine that I haven't talked to or been talked to by in several years. I still consider him one of my best friends, ever, but we just kind of drifted as people sometimes do... I got married, I moved away, I have 2 kids and am too busy to call... all of these are valid, yet stupid excuses... He's my friend, I shouldn't have drifted or have let him drift away... trouble is, I did this with several friends over the years.

It wasn't' intentional...just a "Time passes faster than you realize" sometimes and before you know it, three, four, eight, ten years have gone by...and you think "I should call, so in so" and then you think, "No, they're probably busy, I don't want to bother them..."

I guess what I'm trying to say is "BOTHER THEM!" Reach out... if you don't and they don't, it's all your fault because you know you should have and you can't control the fact that they didn't because they're busy or got married or moved away.

Life is a series of random interactions... Your loved ones and friends are the anchors that hold them together....

Call...Email...Write...Visit...

Oh, and by the way...I got an email from an old friend just a few minutes ago... we used to be real close...and I think we still are...

David

No comments: