Thursday, August 16, 2007

Of Simpson's and Men

So today I had the day off and decided that since the boys have to head back to school on Monday that I should take them someplace fun. We headed out early to the movie theater in Blue Springs so we could catch the early matinee of the "Simpson's" movie.

I've always been a casual fan of the show and have missed several episodes of the series, but still know a majority of the characters and am tuned in to their catchphrases and idiosyncrasies. In any event, I don't know what I was expecting, but the movie turned out to be much funnier than I anticipated.

It's PG-13 for a couple of reasons... In one scene you see a brief flash of Bart's twig and berries, while in another, a defiant Homer flips "the bird" to a crowd of townspeople who wish him dead.
Also, Marge (who has the best scene in the whole movie and will nearly move you to cartoon tears) also has the biggest potty mouth by uttering the worst curse word in the film.

The plot is kind of silly (or as Dustin said..."This is stupid!") but I had numerous Laugh-Out-Loud moments during the film. Also, Bart and Flanders come off a bit less harsh and a bit less goofy in the movie than they do on TV. One minor quibble...why isn't Mr. Burns the villain of the piece, rather than the US government?

It's good, but even Homer points out at the beginning of the film..."Why pay to go see something you can see on TV for free?" I'd see it at the movies and I'm not just saying that cause I did see it at the movies... Jared wants to buy it on DVD, so if any of you have him on your Christmas list...Hey, there's an idea! "D'oh!"

David

No comments: